A Project Storage Box
1 BBL Tasks
1. Solve It
- Using a pencil and paper, design an alternative door buzzer that will produce a sound without using a battery, when a door is opened.
- Hint: Look up bell crank linkages or mechanical door bells.
- Upload an image of your work to BBL task 1 on bournetolearn.com.
2. Research It
- The first electric doorbell was invented by Joseph Henry in 1831. He also invented the modern day D.C. motor.
- Henry's doorbell used electromagnetism in its operation.
- You can read more about his doorbell and other inventions by clicking here.
- Research electromagnetism in other products and make a list of at least 10 other products which use electromagnetism in their operation.
- Upload an image of your work to BBL task 2 on bournetolearn.com.
3. Research It
- The box project is made from Acrylic (sometimes referred to as Pespex, which is a brand name).
- This is a non-renewable product derived from the petroleum or coal-based chemicals and synthesized to for acrylic resin pellets.
- There are many other materials that could be used to make the project.
- As acrylic is not a renewable resource, do some research into three different renewable/recyclable materials that we could be use to replace the housing for the door buzzer.
- Write down three advantages and three disadvantages of using these materials.
- Include pictures of the materials.
- Upload an image of your work to BBL task 3 on bournetolearn.com.