The 555 Fan
1 Pulse Width Modulation (PWM)
- The 555 timer chip creates pulses on the outputs based on how quickly the capacitor on the input charges and discharges.
- We want to control the speed of the fan, so how can we use these pulses to change how fast the motor spins
- Conduct a little web research to find out what is mean by Pulse Width Modulation (PWM).
Badge It - Silver
- Upload your research, explaining how PWM works.
Badge It - Gold
- A 555 timer circuit can generate PWM, but a microcontroller (Genie chip) can do the same thing.
- We can program an output of a Genie chip to create PWM.
- Design the circuit below.
- Describe what happens when you adjust the potentiometer.
Badge It - Platinum
- Write a program that allows the user to change the speed the fan spins at by using what you have learned about PWM.