The Digital Die
1 Inputs and Outputs to generate 1-6
- GENIE chips can be programmed with several configurations.
- We'll need 1 pin to provide power to the chip and 1 pin to tie it to ground.
- We'll need 1 pin to program the chip.
- We'll need 1 pin to receive an input.
- This leaves us with 4 pins to play with.
- By right clicking on the GENIE chip in Circuit Wizard, we can choose >Program>Program Settings
- Make sure you have a C08 chip sellected.
- Now you can use the check boxes to make different pins inputs or outputs.
- We're going to want to have as many outputs as possible, so this configuration is probably the best.
- If we want to make a die, we need to be able to represent the numbers 1-6 using LEDs
- But we can't simply connect an LED to each output pin, as we only have 4 output pins to use.
- Build the circuit as shown below.
- Here's a circuit that allows any number from 1-6 to be displayed by sending output pins high.
- Try to come up with your own arrangement, where we could have any number of LEDs fom 1-6, switch on using only 4 outputs.
- Screenshot your circuit when you have finished it.
2 A Program for the Die
- We're going to use the circuit shown below to program our Die. It's identical to the one before it, but the LEDs have been placed differently.
- Please note: The resistor on G2 is 330 ohms and the resistors on G0, G1 and G4 are 120 ohms.
- It's a little hard to construct, so you can download it here
- It might help you to understand how the outputs control the LEDs by using the simulation below.
Badge It - Silver
- Use the simulation to write down which outputs will need to be set to high for each number the die will generate from 1 through to 6.
- Using the diagram below and any graphics package you choose, draw a basic diagram to show how the arrangement of LEDs will be connected to the pins of the GENIE chip.
- This silver badge progress ladder indigo - Follow a PCB created by a third party, and identify some of the outputs and inputs.
- With this information, you should now be able to create a program to generate the random numbers.
- You've quite a bit of experience using flowcharts to program GENIE chips already, so here is the start of the flowchart only.
Badge It - Gold
- Use the file you downloaded earlier and your knowledge of which outputs to send high to complete the program and test it to make sure it works.
- Take a screenshot of your program when you have finished.
- This gold badge progress ladder yellow - With assistance, write a simple program to manipulate outputs
Badge It - Platinum
- There are many ways of solving this probems.
- See if you can come up with an alternative algorithm that doesn't use the
- Take a screenshot of your program when it is complete.
- This platinum badge progress ladder, green - With assistance, write programs to handle inputs in a PIC circuit.