The Digital Die
1 What is a Die?
- A Die can be used to generate a single digit random number between 1 and 6.
- Having a digital version could be quite handy, especially when it's time for family board games.
- There is a small problem with generating random numbers using a microprocessor or a computer however. In fact it's nearly impossible.
- Have a read of this article. It explains (sometimes in a little too much detail) why random numbers are important.
Interesting Random Generation application
- Watch this video to see real why random generation is so important.
Badge It - Silver
- Try and answer the following questions:
- What is a pseudorandom number?
- What is a true random number?
- What is the example given for how a computer can generate a random number?
- This is the Silver badge - Progress ladder, Yellow - Conduct some relevant research on a project, with assistance.
Badge It - Gold
- You've had some experience with programming micro-controllers now, so you should have some idea of how they work.
- Brainstorm some different ideas for how different input components could be used to generate some random numbers. What sensors could you use?
- This is the Gold badge - Progress ladder, Green - Research a project in a variety of ways without assistance.