|Design Engineering Theory Topics - Home Page|
Use of design strategies
Rarely would one person work on a design in isolation. More likely they are working as part of team. This allows people to 'bounce' ideas off each other.
You could use a design method called SCAMPER
Here is a video that explains the stages involved.
2 User centred design
This could be done by:
- having user requirements as a starting point for your design ideas
- asking your user to draw out some ideas or make a simple model for you
- modelling your ideas in 3D to gain user feedback to aid your development
- using anthropometric data from your user to influence your design ideas.
3 System thinking
The simplest way is to create a flowchart but start backwards.
- What do you want your product to or achieve (output)?
- How is it going to achieve that function (process)?
- What inputs or energies would it need to do that (input)?
4 Exam questions
- Create a flowchart for making a cup of tea. Develop it further into a systems diagram including inputs, processes and outputs.
- Discuss which design strategies a design company might use when designing a pair of headphones.