|Introduction||Week 1||Week 2||Week 3||Week 4||Week 5||Week 6||Week 7||Week 8||Week 9||BBL Tasks|
An Introduction to Mechanisms
1 Planning your automata
- Have an idea
The best automata have a message or a theme. They can be moving works of art.
- Research and find some ideas. Decide what you want to make.
- Remember it is better for it to be simple and work than too complex and not.
Choose a motion or motions – note we have two followers which can have the same or different movements.
- Up and down
- Round and round
- Up and down + round and round
- Back and forth
- Side to side
Very tricky as you would need to rotate the axle 90 degrees!
- Sketch it out on paper.
- Think about how things are going to fit together and move.
- Show on your sketch how the automata is going to move.
- Think about materials and sizes.
- Label your diagrams.
Badge It - Silver, Gold and Platinum
- Submit your idea to your teacher to make sure you are on the right lines.
- Your sketch needs to be clear i.e. can your teacher see how it goes together.
- For gold it needs to included materials and sizes.
- For platinum it needs to be a fully clear what you are intended to build.